Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Power of Words

It's funny how one little word can change the entire course of people's lives; or entire families for that matter.  One day everything is fine and the world is gearing up for Christmas and the inevitable holiday rush and then the next you're knocked on your ass wondering how one word can have so much power.  What word...cancer.

There are very few other words that can strike such abject fear into someones heart.  Hearing that yourself or someone you love has been diagnosed with the disease is unlike any other blow one will ever receive; unless you are the unlucky recipient of a head on collision with a Mac Truck...but judging from the way I am feeling right now I will argue anyone down that the two sensations are one and the same.

Now, I know that fear of a word sounds rather silly, that it's the disease itself that's the doosey but that word; that word is in a class by itself.  But just as fear inducing as the word Cancer is, there are other words just as strong; Faith, Hope, Prayer, Determination, Courage.

Today someone very close to me sat me down and informed me  that she had breast cancer and it felt like the world came to a screeching halt.  Her life flashed before my eyes and I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry.  But that's not an option.  I wont let fear of a word, of this thing, control me.  I'll bolster my faith and stand behind those around me and give them the encouragement and support that they need to fight and make it through the rough road ahead.  Or that's the plan anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment